Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Commercial for Doulas!

I know, I know I haven't used this blog like I thought I would!  At least I haven't yet!

THIS is a commercial!  I recently asked many of my clients to consider writing out their birth stories to share on this blog, if they were interested.  And, I asked them, if they were willing and able to provide a short reference for me.  When I am just getting to know expecting mommas, it's helpful for them to have access to some of the stories of others that I've worked with.  You understand!

Two things.

I hope these short stories and words of testimony will help you understand what the work of a doula is, if you are wondering!  I feel so privileged to have the opportunity to walk alongside and care for women and families in this vulnerable, viseral, glorious time of childbirth!

I hope that if you are expecting, you will take the time and space to really consider what your hopes are for your birth experience.  Be BRAVE!  Reach out and gather the support team you need for this very important part of your journey into motherhood!

I give you Brooke Ervin.

Having a doula was amazing! She was truly the perfect teammate to our birth.  Sally was the perfect combination of a knowledgeable, serene, and clear voice. She answered our questions leading up to the birth, and made my husband and I both feel completely supported during it. Sally walked my husband through how to support me over the phone, even while she was en route to us. He says she helped him know how to help and what to do when he previously felt helpless. Once she arrived, Sally had a gentle, calming presence. 

Sally was able to speak gentle instruction and confidence to me through the contractions, keeping me on track when I feared labor was stalling and I wouldn't be able to make it. I had labored at home from about 6 pm until around 5 am. We went to the hospital when contractions were lasting a minute and 2 minutes apart, only to find out I was dilated to a 1. I was disappointed and felt I wouldn't be able to keep up labor for the hours I thought it would take. Sally's perfect response was that I just had to deal with this contraction. In that moment it was exactly what I needed to hear. About 2 and a half intense hours later, we were prepping for delivery!

She was informed in the delivery room, able to help me answer questions that I didn't know the answer to because she knew me, and how I wanted our birth to go. She explained things if I didn't understand, and allowed me to make informed decisions. The nurses seemed to step back and let us "do our thing" for the most part until time for delivery, and I'm certain that is due to the fact that Sally was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment